Attend Tech City’s alternative Christmas tree light switch on
The sound-reactive lights adorning Tech City’s alternative Christmas tree will be switched on tomorrow.
The tree, which is a present from the city of Oslo, boasts its own Skype account so people from around the world can dial in good will messages and jingles.
The tree is a mark of the growing creative and commercial links between the Norwegian city and Hackney.
Fresh from delivering London’s traditional Christmas Tree to Trafalgar Square today, Oslo’s Deputy Mayor Hallstein Braaten Bjercke will visit Hackney tomorrow to click start the alternative tech-themed seasonal celebration.
The event takes place on the top of BL-NK, 37 East Road, Shoreditch on Friday December 6.
You may also want to watch:
A Hack-a-Tree challenge at 11.30am will challenge the creative and tech community to “hack” an alternative Christmas tree, using alternative materials.
The winning tree will be “lit” by the deputy mayor at 3pm, and will stand as a symbol of the creative friendship for the rest of December.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
At 7pm there will be an “Oslo style” electro-tech party.
For a free ticket go to http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/oslo-meets-hackney-tickets-9222441571.