Attend Tech City’s alternative Christmas tree light switch on
The sound-reactive lights adorning Tech City’s alternative Christmas tree will be switched on tomorrow.
The tree, which is a present from the city of Oslo, boasts its own Skype account so people from around the world can dial in good will messages and jingles.
The tree is a mark of the growing creative and commercial links between the Norwegian city and Hackney.
Fresh from delivering London’s traditional Christmas Tree to Trafalgar Square today, Oslo’s Deputy Mayor Hallstein Braaten Bjercke will visit Hackney tomorrow to click start the alternative tech-themed seasonal celebration.
The event takes place on the top of BL-NK, 37 East Road, Shoreditch on Friday December 6.
You may also want to watch:
A Hack-a-Tree challenge at 11.30am will challenge the creative and tech community to “hack” an alternative Christmas tree, using alternative materials.
The winning tree will be “lit” by the deputy mayor at 3pm, and will stand as a symbol of the creative friendship for the rest of December.
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 7 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 8 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
At 7pm there will be an “Oslo style” electro-tech party.
For a free ticket go to http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/oslo-meets-hackney-tickets-9222441571.