Kane winner helps Spurs down Madrid
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Audi Cup: Tottenham Hotspur 1 Real Madrid 0
Harry Kane struck in the first half to hand Tottenham Hotspur a 1-0 victory over Real Madrid in Munich on Tuesday night in the Audi Cup.
The Spurs forward had the armband on, with Hugo Lloris on the bench after his bout of tonsillitis, and latched onto a mistake before finding the back of the net.
Boss Mauricio Pochettino handed Juan Foyth an opportunity at right-back while in the middle was made of Harry Winks and Tanguy Ndombele with Danny Rose at left-back despite recently being left in England to explore other opportunities.
After a bright start, the Lilywhites went ahead in the 22nd minute, although not due to any neat build-up play.
You may also want to watch:
Marcelo attempted to keep the ball in play and only played Kane through, who kept a cool head and chipped into the corner for his second goal of pre-season.
It stayed level until the break with Pochettino making nine changes and handing the likes of Lloris and Davinson Sanchez their first minutes of pre-season.
- 1 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 4 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 5 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 6 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 7 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 8 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 9 Letter: Facilities needed to make LTNs work
- 10 Call for spare rooms and properties to help homeless people off the streets
Georges-Kevin Nkoudou and Troy Parrott got some game time with 66 played and even though Madrid had opportunities, it ended 1-0 in Munich.
Tottenham could have also extended their advantage with Parrott hitting the post while Dele Alli, Kane and Ndombele all went close on other occasions.
It sent Spurs through to the final of the Audi Cup where they will face hosts' Bayern Munich this evening at 7.30pm after the Bundesliga outfit saw off Fenerbache in the other tournament fixture on Tuesday.