Autism charity Caudwell calls for volunteer for 50-hour glass box ‘lock-in’ at Hackney Tesco
- Credit: caudwell
A charity is looking for a volunteer to live and sleep in solitary confinement in a glass box for 50 hours in the full glare of the public, to raise awareness of what it’s like to be “locked in” with autism.
The willing participant would be shut inside the 3x2 metre container located in the foyer of the Tesco superstore in Morning Lane from noon on July 26 until 2pm on July 28.
The idea is to raise funds and awareness of the support Caudwell Children gives to children with autism – a mental condition characterised by great difficulty communicating and forming relationships with others.
The mother of one of the charity’s beneficiaries gave the charity the idea for the challenge.
Andy Bailey from the charity said: “She explained that living with a child with autism was like living in a glass box. She said that being visible from every angle, unheard and with little ability to communicate, was a perfect metaphor for the condition.
You may also want to watch:
“We understand that it’s not necessarily like this for every family but it’s an incredibly powerful metaphor nevertheless.”
He added: “You have to be a certain type of person to be able to live, sleep and entertain yourself in the full glare of the public. While it can be quite intimidating it’s a unique, once-in-a-lifetime experience.”
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 3 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 4 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 5 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 6 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 7 Boiling Point: The film shot in one take inside a Hackney restaurant
- 8 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 9 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 10 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
Potential volunteers should email firstname.lastname@example.org.