Avoid the A12: “mystery” police incident sparks East London traffic gridlock
Commuters have been plunged into traffic chaos after a stretch of the A12 was closed in both directions at 1pm.
The normally busy road is shut between the Green Man roundabout stretching down to the Lea Interchange because of a police incident. Drivers across Hackney and the rest of East London have been plunged into gridlock because of the diversions.
Police are advising travellers to seek an alternative route if possible.
A police spokesman said: “Waltham Forest Police were called at 1pm today to deal with an incident on the A12, near The Green Man Roundabout, in Leytonstone.
“The A12 is currently closed and there is likely to be some traffic congestion in the area.”
You may also want to watch:
It is not known when the road will re-open.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 5 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 6 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 10 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space