Avoid the A12: “mystery” police incident sparks East London traffic gridlock
Commuters have been plunged into traffic chaos after a stretch of the A12 was closed in both directions at 1pm.
The normally busy road is shut between the Green Man roundabout stretching down to the Lea Interchange because of a police incident. Drivers across Hackney and the rest of East London have been plunged into gridlock because of the diversions.
Police are advising travellers to seek an alternative route if possible.
A police spokesman said: “Waltham Forest Police were called at 1pm today to deal with an incident on the A12, near The Green Man Roundabout, in Leytonstone.
“The A12 is currently closed and there is likely to be some traffic congestion in the area.”
You may also want to watch:
It is not known when the road will re-open.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 3 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
- 10 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic