Award-winning lawyer who works with the marginalised to speak at Hackney Law Centre
- Credit: Archant
A lawyer who won a prestigious national award for his work with the marginalised will be speaking at Hackney Community Law Centre (HCLC) on Monday.
Paul Heron, whose clients include asylum seekers, teenagers under the Children’s Act, people with mental health problems and domestic violence victims, will be talking at the law centre’s annual general meeting (AGM) about the work which helped him win the Law Society award.
“We welcome people to come to the AGM and hear about how HCLC has been at the forefront of efforts to ensure local residents in Hackney are able access high quality legal advice services against a tough economic background of cuts in funding for advice services and the ongoing challenges presented by the government’s welfare reforms,” said its chair Ian Rathbone.
“Despite the setbacks of government cutbacks in legal aid and in other ways, we have had a creative year,” he added.
“We launched a new website, were nominated for a national Law Society award for innovation in setting up pop up law shops in Hackney Central and Dalston CLR James libraries, and launched a new advice service for homeless young people.”
You may also want to watch:
The AGM takes place at 7pm at The Salvation Army, 122-124 Lower Clapton Road on Monday January 28.
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 9 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 10 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"