Baby plunged 30ft in rooftop horror in Lower Clapton
A baby boy fell 30 feet onto a flat roof above a parade of shops and then, dazed and bleeding, staggered towards the edge - and another 20 foot drop - as passersby screamed in horror.
The one-year-old tot plummeted from the third floor of six-storey Downs Court in Amhurst Road after crawling out of an open window on Tuesday afternoon (May 22).
Crowds of people at the busy junction of Pembury Corner, in Lower Clapton, witnessed the incident, and shouted to the injured child to stay where he was, fearing he would tumble off the roof.
A quick-thinking bystander ran into the building and clambered out of a first floor window to scoop up the bruised and bloody baby, while another passerby grabbed a ladder from a shop so he could bring the child down to safety.
Sharon Barrett, manager of Social Care 4 U Ltd in the parade, witnessed the incident and said: “Everybody was screaming, and then the mother ran down on to the street. She was screaming and was very distressed – she was saying she’d just been in the toilet.
You may also want to watch:
“A guy got on to the ledge to get the baby and somebody flagged down a passing police van.”
A spokeswoman for Hackney Police said: “The one-year-old male infant was conveyed to an east London hospital, where it was established that he had sustained a broken jaw. His injuries were not deemed life threatening or changing. Enquiries are ongoing.”
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 3 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 4 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 7 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding