Back to the Future for Hackney Seventh-Day Adventist Church members
Church celebrating 30 worshipful years
A HACKNEY church is celebrating its 30th anniversary with a gala weekend of events.
Dubbed Back to the Future, Hackney Seventh-Day Adventist Church members are gathering for a special evening of shared memories and testimonials at its church in Haggerston Road, Haggerston on Friday (November 19).
The evening is followed by a day of celebration on Saturday (November 20) with a variety concert open to all in the evening, followed by worship on Sunday (November 21).
The concert at The Bridge Academy school, Laburnum Street, Hackney, from 6.30pm will see members of musical groups, including Hackney Youth Group and The Golden Chords reform to sing once again alongside modern acts including Hackney Pathfinders Drum Corps, Testimony and solo singer Dylan.
Gospel singers from Lewisham and Brixton Church will also perform.
The group had a tough time establishing itself, and had temporary homes in five locations in Hackney and Forest Gate before discovering their current building, a former Methodist church, was for sale.
- 1 Kids join police as 20 speed tickets given out
- 2 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 3 Demolition begins to make way for Hoxton homes
- 4 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 5 All you need to know about Hackney Half and Hackney Moves
- 6 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 7 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
- 8 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
- 9 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 10 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
Members donated savings, got loans and took second jobs to raise the �250,000 needed.
Church member Patsy Reid, 47, said: “It wasn’t easy. Looking back it’s bittersweet. We have good times and we have bad times but that’s life. We’re still celebrating.”
Tickets for the performance will be available at the school from 4.30pm on Saturday.