Barbican’s pop-up market Ram Place launches in Hackney’s fashion hub
- Credit: Archant
A cutting-edge pop-up market inspired by Jean Paul Gaultier’s penchant for street fashion has set up in a derelict building at the heart of Hackney’s fashion hub.
Ram Place Fashion Market is part of the Barbican’s annual outreach programme gigs, festivals and performances take place beyond the theatre walls.
A roofless warehouse shell in Ram Place, off Morning Lane, has been transformed into a market celebrating contemporary alternative fashion and street style, along with workshops for budding local designers.
The project will run alongside the Barbican’s exhibition focusing on Jean Paul Gaultier, who was heavily influenced by street fashion, and would travel to London in the 90s to check out what people were wearing in the capital’s clubs.
The market features local emerging and celebrated designers including Jelka Quintelier, Arlette Ess, Kelly Shaw and Meihui Liu alongside demonstrations by highly skilled craftspeople like Sebastian Tarek, Sahar Freemantle and Queenie and Ted.
You may also want to watch:
The market is accompanied by a programme of performances, talks and workshops with artists, photographers and fashion industry professionals including designer James Long, film-maker Kathryn Ferguson, and performance artist David Hoyle (The Divine David).
Admission is free, but wristbands for evening entry is on a first come first served basis, with wristbands distributed daily from 11am at the Barbican market stall.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 7 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 10 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
It runs until July 20 from 11am to 10pm daily.