BBC’s The Voice battle rounds: Will.i.am sees through “old school” Jermain Jackman
- Credit: BBC/Wall to Wall
Jermain Jackman, the “singing politician” from Hackney has made it through the battle rounds on the BBC’s prestigious singing contest, The Voice.
The 19-year old picked up the nickname from one of the show’s four judges, legendary crooner Tom Jones, on his last appearance on the show after he was singled out by hip hop rapper Will.i.am, who is now his mentor and coach.
On Saturday night he sung the duet I Knew You Were Waiting, first made famous by Aretha Franklin and George Michael, with another hopeful, Sarah Eden Winn.
Will.i.am who mentored them both was forced to choose between them and picked Jermain, who he had already met at the 2012 Hackney Weekend when he told him to apply for the series following his performance with fellow Hackney singer Leona Lewis.
“What are the odds of you seeing me at a show, and then you go to The Voice, and I’m the only one turning around for you, I think I’m supposed to see you through,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“I just love the way he moves his little head, like it’s just like old school, he’s going to be special that kid,” he added.
Kaiser Chiefs lead singer Ricky Wilson commented: “Female vocals hit me more emotionally than male vocals, but I have to say on that one Jermain got me there,” and pointed to his heart.
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 7 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
There is one more battle round this Saturday before two knockout shows the following Saturday and Sunday. If Jermain makes it through he will appear on the live shows.