‘Beard Friendly’ Hackney pubs are joint winners
- Credit: Archant
The Cock Tavern in Mare Street has been handed the Beard Friendly Pub of the Year Award after topping an online poll along with The Jolly Butchers in Stoke Newington.
Both pubs were declared joint winners after a tied online poll, organised by The Beard Liberation Front (BLF), an ‘informal network of beard wearers’.
BLF Organiser Keith Flett said there had been a record vote for the award.
“Beards and East London are something of a media stereotype but the Cock is very much a functioning pub with a diverse range of customers and beers,” he explained.
“Like many things the BLF does, the Beard Friendly Pub poll is a mix of the rather light hearted with some more serious points lurking behind.
You may also want to watch:
“The Beard Friendly Pub will have an ambience that welcomes beards, that is, at least some of the bar staff will be hirsute and a noticeable numbers of the customers as well.
“It will also sell beard friendly beers - that is not just standard bitters and lagers but interesting IPAs, stouts and much else in cask, keg and bottle.”
- 1 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 2 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 3 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 4 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 7 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 8 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 9 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
The Bag of Nails in Bristol came top outside London.