‘Beard Friendly’ Hackney pubs are joint winners
- Credit: Archant
The Cock Tavern in Mare Street has been handed the Beard Friendly Pub of the Year Award after topping an online poll along with The Jolly Butchers in Stoke Newington.
Both pubs were declared joint winners after a tied online poll, organised by The Beard Liberation Front (BLF), an ‘informal network of beard wearers’.
BLF Organiser Keith Flett said there had been a record vote for the award.
“Beards and East London are something of a media stereotype but the Cock is very much a functioning pub with a diverse range of customers and beers,” he explained.
“Like many things the BLF does, the Beard Friendly Pub poll is a mix of the rather light hearted with some more serious points lurking behind.
“The Beard Friendly Pub will have an ambience that welcomes beards, that is, at least some of the bar staff will be hirsute and a noticeable numbers of the customers as well.
“It will also sell beard friendly beers - that is not just standard bitters and lagers but interesting IPAs, stouts and much else in cask, keg and bottle.”
- 1 Guilty: Man lured 2 young girls into garage and sexually abused them
- 2 Patrick Anzy: Three men jailed following Gillett Square murder
- 3 Call to stop weedkiller use at estate
- 4 Boy, 15, charged with attempted murder of woman out riding bike
- 5 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 6 Illustrations capture a fresh view of Hackney
- 7 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 8 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 9 Hackney woman in court over 'chasing down' BBC journalist at lockdown rally
- 10 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
The Bag of Nails in Bristol came top outside London.