‘Beard Friendly’ Hackney pubs are joint winners
- Credit: Archant
The Cock Tavern in Mare Street has been handed the Beard Friendly Pub of the Year Award after topping an online poll along with The Jolly Butchers in Stoke Newington.
Both pubs were declared joint winners after a tied online poll, organised by The Beard Liberation Front (BLF), an ‘informal network of beard wearers’.
BLF Organiser Keith Flett said there had been a record vote for the award.
“Beards and East London are something of a media stereotype but the Cock is very much a functioning pub with a diverse range of customers and beers,” he explained.
“Like many things the BLF does, the Beard Friendly Pub poll is a mix of the rather light hearted with some more serious points lurking behind.
You may also want to watch:
“The Beard Friendly Pub will have an ambience that welcomes beards, that is, at least some of the bar staff will be hirsute and a noticeable numbers of the customers as well.
“It will also sell beard friendly beers - that is not just standard bitters and lagers but interesting IPAs, stouts and much else in cask, keg and bottle.”
- 1 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 2 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 3 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 4 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
The Bag of Nails in Bristol came top outside London.