Let’s fight for third, says Tottenham and Belgium defender Alderweireld
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Toby Alderweireld, Jan Vertonghen and Mousa Dembele couldn’t hide their disappointment after Tuesday’s loss to France
Spurs defender Toby Alderweireld has insisted Belgium will give their all to make sure they finish third at the World Cup.
The Red Devils saw their hopes of winning the competition ended on Tuesday night when France, including Tottenham Hotspur team-mate Hugo Lloris, defeated them 1-0.
It ensured Alderweireld, Jan Vertonghen and Mousa Dembele all suffered heartbreak with their country.
A day later and it was a similar story for five other Spurs players as Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Kieran Trippier and Danny Rose all played in England’s 2-1 loss after extra-time to Croatia in the other semi-final.
When tweeting before the Three Lions had played their game, Alderweireld revealed his desire to win Saturday’s third/fourth-place play-off.
“Belgium, we wanted it so bad. We did everything we could,” said Tottenham’s centre back on Twitter.
- 1 Eight drivers arrested and 22 vehicles seized in Stoke Newington crackdown
- 2 Two Jewish men hospitalised day before Holocaust Memorial Day
- 3 Wanted man may be in Hackney
- 4 Afghan refugee family rehomed in Hackney
- 5 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 6 'Major victory': Ridley Road Shopping Village's future secured
- 7 Hackney council home tenants to see rents increase
- 8 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 9 'Was she rank?': Met apologises for language used during Hackney strip search
- 10 'We are trying to shift a culture': ending harassment of Hackney school pupils
“A big thank you to all our fans for the incredible support. One more game to go, let’s fight for that third place.”
Club and international colleague Vertonghen echoed the sentiments of Alderweireld with a tweet of his own on Wednesday.
The 31-year-old showed his disappointment at losing to France in the last four of the World Cup.
Vertonghen said: “Gutted to lose in the semi-finals. We gave it our all. The support from all the fans in Russia & back home has been unbelievable. Thank you.”
Dembele had been a surprise starter in the France match, but was replaced on the hour mark.
He could play again this weekend even if Red Devils boss Roberto Martinez decides to rest some of his star men with the new Premier League season beginning on August 11.
“Thanks to all the fans for your support on this journey. Disappointed not to be into the final but we will be back,” said Dembele.