Ben Davies hails Mauricio Pochettino’s contract extension as ‘great news’ for Tottenham Hotspur
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The 25-year-old reflected on the 2017/18 campaign and believes finishing third was a good effort by the club
Ben Davies has welcomed Mauricio Pochettino’s new five-year deal as “great news” in trying to move Tottenham to the next level.
Pochettino, who said the club must “take risks” to improve, ended uncertainty over his future on Thursday by committing himself to the London club until 2023.
Tottenham have not won a trophy in his four years in charge, but Spurs have a third successive Champions League campaign to look forward to next season as they prepare to move into their new stadium.
“Yeah, I can understand what he’s saying,” Davies said. “Now it’s all about trying to reach that next level and, as players, we want to do the same.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s great news for us as a club and it’s fantastic to see him staying on. He’s been amazing to work under and it’s nice to see that continue.”
Davies has been a key player for Pochettino this term, winning the left-back battle with Danny Rose and making 38 first-team appearances.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 4 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 9 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 10 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
The 25-year-old’s recent form should see him agree new improved terms with Tottenham over the coming weeks.
“I’d like to think it’s been my best season so far,” Davies told BBC Sport Wales at the squad’s California base.
“I’ve played in some big games, played in the Champions League, the semi-final of the FA Cup and we did well in the Premier League again.
“To finish third was a really good effort with the competition that was around, and I’m glad I played a part in it.”