Beyonce performance clinches Alter Ego title
- Credit: Archant
The winner of Hackney’s biggest talent show was crowned in front of a sold-out audience at the Hackney Empire on Friday night.
Emily Numutaako, 17, wowed the audience and judges with a powerful performance of Beyonce’s Dangerously in Love at the Alter Ego finals.
Nine acts including singers, rappers dancers and comedians performed in the contest, which was hosted by MTV Base presenter Kat B, with performances from rap duo Krept and Konan and Hackney born actress and MC Paigey Cakey.
Winner Emily, an A-level student from Haggerston, said she was speechless.
“I did not expect it,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“The sky is the limit now, I’ve just won one of the biggest competitions in Hackney and now I need to think about where I’m going.
“I entered this competition because I loved to sing as a hobby and now it has elevated itself in some sort of way.”
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 9 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
Emily has won the opportunity to perform at the The O2 in theTeenStar Grand Final and at Digwalls as part of Open Mic UK, as well as receiving free rehearsal and recording time at Press Records in Mare Street Studios
Dance group Ebonessance comprising of Labraya Buffong, 18, Elliott John, 19, Rashaun Antaine- Philip, 18, and Nathifa Le Che Alexander, 19, were awarded joint second place with singer Dominique Florent- Lee, 15, and singer Nadia Haloua, 14, came third in the competition.
Prizes included a styling and photography portfolio package, producer time with Inferno and a year’s membership at the Anna Fiorentini Theatre and Film School.