Birthday joy with Homerton League of Friends
A 90-year-old woman who volunteers at Homerton Hospital celebrated her birthday there surrounded by friends last week.
Joy Geary has been with the League of Friends at the hospital for 25 years since she retired.
Group treasurer Ms Geary said: “It was a lovely party and I had lots of friends helping me celebrate. When I retired in 1987 I didn’t stop working and I knew I shouldn’t.
“I had been working 12 hours a day for a trade union and enjoyed myself tremendously.”
Ms Geary helps out a few days a week with the League of Friends’ tea bar near the outpatients’ department.
You may also want to watch:
“I thoroughly enjoy myself working here,” she said. “I like being with people after my very busy life. The staff all know us by name and we know them too.”
Janet Taylor, League of Friends manager, said: “Joy and I have remained really good friends over the past 25 years. Joy is quite a character and was over the moon about her party.
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 3 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 7 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
“The league are really special people, we are like a family because we have all been together for so long. The League of Friends is here to raise money for the patients.
“We are very small because 11 years ago they took away our shop. We can’t afford big pieces of equipment now, but we are still here for Homerton.”
Money raised by the 15 volunteers helps buy chairs, toys and slippers.