Birthday joy with Homerton League of Friends
A 90-year-old woman who volunteers at Homerton Hospital celebrated her birthday there surrounded by friends last week.
Joy Geary has been with the League of Friends at the hospital for 25 years since she retired.
Group treasurer Ms Geary said: “It was a lovely party and I had lots of friends helping me celebrate. When I retired in 1987 I didn’t stop working and I knew I shouldn’t.
“I had been working 12 hours a day for a trade union and enjoyed myself tremendously.”
Ms Geary helps out a few days a week with the League of Friends’ tea bar near the outpatients’ department.
“I thoroughly enjoy myself working here,” she said. “I like being with people after my very busy life. The staff all know us by name and we know them too.”
Janet Taylor, League of Friends manager, said: “Joy and I have remained really good friends over the past 25 years. Joy is quite a character and was over the moon about her party.
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 Apothecary: Japanese-inspired small plates combine with Shoreditch vibes
- 3 Housing plan for De Beauvoir estate approved – despite environmental concerns
- 4 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 5 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 6 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 7 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 8 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 9 From college student to stage performer: How All Points East Festival is helping young artists
- 10 Hackney Central: 25 flee from flats as fire breaks out in shop below
“The league are really special people, we are like a family because we have all been together for so long. The League of Friends is here to raise money for the patients.
“We are very small because 11 years ago they took away our shop. We can’t afford big pieces of equipment now, but we are still here for Homerton.”
Money raised by the 15 volunteers helps buy chairs, toys and slippers.