Birthday joy with Homerton League of Friends
A 90-year-old woman who volunteers at Homerton Hospital celebrated her birthday there surrounded by friends last week.
Joy Geary has been with the League of Friends at the hospital for 25 years since she retired.
Group treasurer Ms Geary said: “It was a lovely party and I had lots of friends helping me celebrate. When I retired in 1987 I didn’t stop working and I knew I shouldn’t.
“I had been working 12 hours a day for a trade union and enjoyed myself tremendously.”
Ms Geary helps out a few days a week with the League of Friends’ tea bar near the outpatients’ department.
You may also want to watch:
“I thoroughly enjoy myself working here,” she said. “I like being with people after my very busy life. The staff all know us by name and we know them too.”
Janet Taylor, League of Friends manager, said: “Joy and I have remained really good friends over the past 25 years. Joy is quite a character and was over the moon about her party.
- 1 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 2 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 3 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Hackney from climate emergency
- 4 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 5 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 6 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 7 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 8 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 9 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 10 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
“The league are really special people, we are like a family because we have all been together for so long. The League of Friends is here to raise money for the patients.
“We are very small because 11 years ago they took away our shop. We can’t afford big pieces of equipment now, but we are still here for Homerton.”
Money raised by the 15 volunteers helps buy chairs, toys and slippers.