Blaze at Chariots gay sauna in Shoreditch not suspicious
Police rule out arson after huge fire forces over 100 people into the streets in the early hours.
A fire at Britain’s largest gay sauna is not thought to have been started deliberately.
Chariots Roman Spa in Fairchild Street, Shoreditch, was gutted by a huge blaze in the early hours of Sunday morning.
The spa, which describes itself as ‘the UK’s largest and friendliest gay men’s sauna’, had around half of its ground floor destroyed in the blaze which started around 6am.
Around 150 punters fled the building as six fire engines and some 30 firefighters arrived at the scene at 6.05am to battle the blaze.
The crews had the fire under control by 7.40am and police have said the blaze is not being treated as suspicious.
A worker at the sauna told the Gazette that the sauna would now be closed for at least two months.
- 1 Four Hackney and Islington properties with amazing skyline views
- 2 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 3 'Catastrophic consequences': Hundreds of unvaccinated could lose work at Homerton Hospital
- 4 Covid patient numbers at Homerton Hospital with Plan B rules set to lift
- 5 Haggerston celebrates the Chinese Lunar New Year
- 6 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 7 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
- 8 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 9 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 10 Dalston delivery drivers demand shelter, safety and 'dignity'