Blaze at Chariots gay sauna in Shoreditch not suspicious
Police rule out arson after huge fire forces over 100 people into the streets in the early hours.
A fire at Britain’s largest gay sauna is not thought to have been started deliberately.
Chariots Roman Spa in Fairchild Street, Shoreditch, was gutted by a huge blaze in the early hours of Sunday morning.
The spa, which describes itself as ‘the UK’s largest and friendliest gay men’s sauna’, had around half of its ground floor destroyed in the blaze which started around 6am.
Around 150 punters fled the building as six fire engines and some 30 firefighters arrived at the scene at 6.05am to battle the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
The crews had the fire under control by 7.40am and police have said the blaze is not being treated as suspicious.
A worker at the sauna told the Gazette that the sauna would now be closed for at least two months.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 4 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 8 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 9 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 10 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs