Blaze at Chariots gay sauna in Shoreditch not suspicious
Police rule out arson after huge fire forces over 100 people into the streets in the early hours.
A fire at Britain’s largest gay sauna is not thought to have been started deliberately.
Chariots Roman Spa in Fairchild Street, Shoreditch, was gutted by a huge blaze in the early hours of Sunday morning.
The spa, which describes itself as ‘the UK’s largest and friendliest gay men’s sauna’, had around half of its ground floor destroyed in the blaze which started around 6am.
Around 150 punters fled the building as six fire engines and some 30 firefighters arrived at the scene at 6.05am to battle the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
The crews had the fire under control by 7.40am and police have said the blaze is not being treated as suspicious.
A worker at the sauna told the Gazette that the sauna would now be closed for at least two months.
- 1 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 2 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 3 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 4 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 5 Cinema set to open in Finsbury Park in time for No Time to Die
- 6 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 7 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 8 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 9 Hackney drumming tribute to Cream's Ginger Baker
- 10 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP