Blaze at Chariots gay sauna in Shoreditch not suspicious
Police rule out arson after huge fire forces over 100 people into the streets in the early hours.
A fire at Britain’s largest gay sauna is not thought to have been started deliberately.
Chariots Roman Spa in Fairchild Street, Shoreditch, was gutted by a huge blaze in the early hours of Sunday morning.
The spa, which describes itself as ‘the UK’s largest and friendliest gay men’s sauna’, had around half of its ground floor destroyed in the blaze which started around 6am.
Around 150 punters fled the building as six fire engines and some 30 firefighters arrived at the scene at 6.05am to battle the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
The crews had the fire under control by 7.40am and police have said the blaze is not being treated as suspicious.
A worker at the sauna told the Gazette that the sauna would now be closed for at least two months.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Shocked woman finds bugs in unopened Lidl Paprika Jar
- 4 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 5 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 6 Sadiq Khan: “Young People in Hackney remind me of myself 30 years ago”
- 7 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 8 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 9 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 10 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention