Search

Three escape blaze in Church Street, Stoke Newington

PUBLISHED: 14:47 24 February 2016 | UPDATED: 16:02 24 February 2016

Crews at the scene in Church Street. PictureL @LondonFire

Crews at the scene in Church Street. PictureL @LondonFire

Archant

Three people escaped from an alleyway fire between two shops in Church Street, Stoke Newington.

The blaze on Monday night is believed to have been started by a light bulb igniting cardboard boxes stacked for recycling.

Crews from Stoke Newington tackled the fire between a garden centre and a pet shop after being called by a passer-by.

They confined the fire to the alleyway and three occupants of the garden shop evacuated the building before the brigade arrived.

Smoke also entered nearby flats but nobody was home.

The fire, believed to be accidental, was brought under control in an hour.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hackney Gazette