Blaze tears through Stoke Newington convenience store
- Credit: sub
More than 40 firefighters spent the morning battling a blaze which broke out in a convenience store and spread to the flat above.
Flames started tearing through UK Supermarket in Stoke Newington Church Street just after 7am and five fire crews spent more than two-and-a-half hours tackling the blaze.
The alarm was raised after the four people living in the property above the store smelt smoke and fled the building, and a further five people in the adjoining flat were led to safety after smoke started percolating the wall.
Paul Szemerej, station commander at Stoke Newington fire station, said one person was treated at the scene for heat exhaustion.
He said 20 per cent of the ground floor shop has been left damaged, as well as 10 per cent of the flat above.
You may also want to watch:
An investigation into the cause of the blaze is underway.
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 7 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney