Blaze tears through Stoke Newington convenience store
- Credit: sub
More than 40 firefighters spent the morning battling a blaze which broke out in a convenience store and spread to the flat above.
Flames started tearing through UK Supermarket in Stoke Newington Church Street just after 7am and five fire crews spent more than two-and-a-half hours tackling the blaze.
The alarm was raised after the four people living in the property above the store smelt smoke and fled the building, and a further five people in the adjoining flat were led to safety after smoke started percolating the wall.
Paul Szemerej, station commander at Stoke Newington fire station, said one person was treated at the scene for heat exhaustion.
He said 20 per cent of the ground floor shop has been left damaged, as well as 10 per cent of the flat above.
You may also want to watch:
An investigation into the cause of the blaze is underway.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 3 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 4 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 7 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 8 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home