Bomb found on Olympic site
Incendiary device found by workmen on Porter’s Fields
The building site where the Olympic basketball training facility is being built was evacuated this morning, after a World War Two bomb was uncovered.
Police and fire engines were called to the building site behind Lea Bridge Road ice skating rink at 10am this morning and the area was declared safe around noon.
The incendiary device which weighed about a kilogram was safely removed.
Groundwork began on the green field marshlands last week for the 12m high basketball training facility for the Olympic Games.
You may also want to watch:
Development of the site has been a bone of contention since the plans were given the go-ahead by Waltham Forest Council last month, and campaigners have mounted weekly protests.
An Olympic Delivery Authority spokesman said a routine scan of the site in February had detected metal underground.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 8 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 9 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
“Because of this, an ordnance expert was appointed to oversee the start of works,” he said.
“Police were immediately contacted after the device was discovered and it was later removed by specialist officers.
“At no time were nearby people or property put at risk and work has now resumed on site.”