Boxpark Shoreditch to learn if it can extend last orders until midnight at weekends
- Credit: Archant
Boxpark Shoreditch will learn this week whether it has permission to sell alcohol until midnight at weekends.
The pop-up food, retail and bar unit, which vowed to have no licensed premises ahead of opening in 2011, wants to extend its closing time until 12.30am on Fridays and Saturdays and 11.30pm weeknights.
That would also mean pushing back last orders until 11pm on weeknights, and midnight on Fridays and Saturdays.
The firm also wants to remove conditions that mean drinks can only be sold in branded cups, a bone of contention when the venue last extended its licence in 2017. Branded cups mean police know that drinks have been bought from the official bar, and not from independent traders selling booze without a licence.
But police said that was a concern. In a report ahead of Thursday's meeting, Pc Kerrie Ryan said: "The removal of these conditions will enable the other units to breach their lease and their licence undetected.
You may also want to watch:
"Police would like to hear why these conditions should be removed and how this would be of benefit to them without undermining the licensing objectives."
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 3 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 4 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 8 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 9 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12