Brave Hackney policewoman dodges attempted knife attack to arrest armed robbery suspect
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
A “courageous” Hackney policewoman disarmed a knife-wielding robbery suspect as he swung the weapon towards her.
Sgt Carroll Weeden was out on patrol alone in Stoke Newington yesterday when she saw someone being mugged at knifepoint for a mobile phone.
The robber ran off after seeing Sgt Weeden so she dashed after him.
But as the speedy officer approached a teen she believed could have been the person she saw, he pulled a knife on her.
Scotland Yard said the 18-year-old “swung it violently towards her”.
You may also want to watch:
Passers-by stepped in to help her and she managed to arrest the boy.
Insp Iain Williams, from Hackney, said: “This was a very courageous effort from Sgt Weeden whose first instinct was to catch the suspect of this street robbery.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 6 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 7 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 8 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 9 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 10 'Hackney is still building', says mayor on future affordable housing
“She acted in the best traditions of the Met when she fought off the knife attacks and worked to detain and arrest an 18-year-old man.
“I would also like to pay tribute to the passing members of the public who bravely came to assist the officer.”
The only injury Sgt Weeden sustained was bruising to her arm, where she had been punched during the scuffle.
Scotland Yard said the attempted robbery happened yesterday at the junction of Stoke Newington High Street and Tyssen Road at 5.40pm.
An 18-year-old was arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm and robbery and was last night being questioned at an east London police station.