Brave Hackney policewoman dodges attempted knife attack to arrest armed robbery suspect
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
A “courageous” Hackney policewoman disarmed a knife-wielding robbery suspect as he swung the weapon towards her.
Sgt Carroll Weeden was out on patrol alone in Stoke Newington yesterday when she saw someone being mugged at knifepoint for a mobile phone.
The robber ran off after seeing Sgt Weeden so she dashed after him.
But as the speedy officer approached a teen she believed could have been the person she saw, he pulled a knife on her.
Scotland Yard said the 18-year-old “swung it violently towards her”.
You may also want to watch:
Passers-by stepped in to help her and she managed to arrest the boy.
Insp Iain Williams, from Hackney, said: “This was a very courageous effort from Sgt Weeden whose first instinct was to catch the suspect of this street robbery.
- 1 Man dies after reports of shooting in Dalston
- 2 'The pressure is intense': Hoxton vegan chef competes in Great British Menu
- 3 Election 2021: Hackney by-election results revealed
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 5 London Fields: Woman's cheekbone fractured in broad daylight attack
- 6 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 7 What can open in Hackney when lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 8 Teenagers shot and stabbed in Hackney
- 9 'Arrested for being on my balcony', a young black man speaks out
- 10 £20,000 reward for information on Stoke Newington murder
“She acted in the best traditions of the Met when she fought off the knife attacks and worked to detain and arrest an 18-year-old man.
“I would also like to pay tribute to the passing members of the public who bravely came to assist the officer.”
The only injury Sgt Weeden sustained was bruising to her arm, where she had been punched during the scuffle.
Scotland Yard said the attempted robbery happened yesterday at the junction of Stoke Newington High Street and Tyssen Road at 5.40pm.
An 18-year-old was arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm and robbery and was last night being questioned at an east London police station.