Budding young weightlifters given a boost
Two budding weightlifters have been given a helping hand with their sporting dreams to compete in Rio in 2016 thanks to Hackney Council’s Youth Sport Fund.
It is hoped the money will help Kim Pham and Omarie Mears, both 18, progress from the school gym to the national arena
Kim is the reigning British Juniors Champion (58kg) and Omarie came second in the British U18s Championship (69kg).
Kim said: “It feels relieving to know that I have support from Hackney Youth Sport Fund because it eases the pressure and stress.
“I’m really grateful because if it wasn’t for Hackney Youth Sport Fund, I honestly don’t know how I would have managed in my sport.”
Six other talented young people were also presented with cheques by Hackney Mayor Jules Pipe on Monday (May 21), along with a ticket to an Olympic event this summer.
Young people, community groups and individuals can apply for funding at www.hackney.gov.uk/c-sports-grants.htm
- 1 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 2 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
- 4 Architecture review: 'Contemporary Hackney and revolutionary Russia?'
- 5 Hackney festival celebrating Turkish and Kurdish culture returns
- 6 Police search for witness who helped rape victim
- 7 Firefighter retires after cancer diagnosis
- 8 Flamenco extravaganza with dancers aged 4 to 60
- 9 Wanted: Suspect sought after series of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes area
- 10 Plea date set for teen charged with broad daylight stabbing
The closing dates in 2012 are June 1, September 21 and December 22.