Hackney 'rising star' nominated for BAFTA
- Credit: Tom Dymond
A Hackney schoolgirl-turned-actress has been announced as one of five nominees for a BAFTA.
Bukky Bakray was plucked out of her Hackney classroom by director Sarah Gavron at 15 to play the lead role in the British coming-of-age drama Rocks (2019).
In the film which could win her an EE Rising Star Award, the only BAFTA voted for by the public, Bukky plays a British-Nigerian teenager who lives on an estate in Hackney.
She said: “I honestly feel so blessed to be recognised so early on in my career. I still can’t believe this, I’m not sure I ever will either. All the warmth and love from BAFTA and EE is beautiful and I’m grateful."
Bukky has also received nominations from the British Independent Film Awards (BIFA) and London Film Critics' Circle, as well as being longlisted in BAFTA's Leading Actress category for 2021.
You may also want to watch:
Nominees for the EE Rising Star Award also include Morfydd Clark, Conrad Khan, Kingsley Ben-Adir and Sope Dirisu.
To vote, visit ee.co.uk/BAFTA.
The winner will be announced on April 11, 2021 at the EE BAFTA Film Awards on BBC One.
- 1 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 2 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 3 Gone in 60 seconds: Watch as 'keyless' thief steals Hackney car
- 4 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 5 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 6 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 7 Surgery blunder sees wrong side of 75-year-old patient's thyroid removed
- 8 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 9 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 10 Britannia Leisure Centre and the changing face of Shoreditch Park