Hackney 'rising star' nominated for BAFTA
- Credit: Tom Dymond
A Hackney schoolgirl-turned-actress has been announced as one of five nominees for a BAFTA.
Bukky Bakray was plucked out of her Hackney classroom by director Sarah Gavron at 15 to play the lead role in the British coming-of-age drama Rocks (2019).
In the film which could win her an EE Rising Star Award, the only BAFTA voted for by the public, Bukky plays a British-Nigerian teenager who lives on an estate in Hackney.
She said: “I honestly feel so blessed to be recognised so early on in my career. I still can’t believe this, I’m not sure I ever will either. All the warmth and love from BAFTA and EE is beautiful and I’m grateful."
Bukky has also received nominations from the British Independent Film Awards (BIFA) and London Film Critics' Circle, as well as being longlisted in BAFTA's Leading Actress category for 2021.
You may also want to watch:
Nominees for the EE Rising Star Award also include Morfydd Clark, Conrad Khan, Kingsley Ben-Adir and Sope Dirisu.
To vote, visit ee.co.uk/BAFTA.
The winner will be announced on April 11, 2021 at the EE BAFTA Film Awards on BBC One.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 4 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney