Bus row rages on as company bosses condemn Hackney walkout
PUBLISHED: 16:20 08 October 2010
Olivia Harris, email@example.com 07881 810 878
Today’s 24-hour strike latest in longstanding dispute
Bus company bosses branded a 24-hour walkout by some Hackney drivers today (Friday) ineffective following a picket outside its Ash Grove depot.
The Unite union announced this morning that 185 workers would take strike action at CT Plus just off Mare Street in a row over pay.
But a spokeswoman for the company said only about 20 of its employees had taken part, and that it had been able to run a full service on five out of six bus routes – a claim disputed by the union which said 50 workers had joined the action with more expected to follow over the day.
Buses on the 153, 212, 394, W12 and W13 routes have been operating without disruption while a shuttle service is in place between Hackney Wick and Mare Street for passengers taking the 388, said the CT Plus spokeswoman.
“The strike has had very little effect,” she said.
“We are delighted that the overwhelming majority of our workforce has chosen to ignore the call to strike. This has enabled us to operate most services. We do, however, regret the disruption to route 388.”
“We are deeply saddened by the approach taken by Unite, who appear to relish industrial confrontation for broader political purposes.”
Unite members want Boris Johnson to meet with them to discuss better wages, threatening to repeat the walkout for the next three Fridays.
“This hasn’t been a 100 per cent solid strike,” admitted Peter Kavanagh, Unite regional official.
“But there has been considerable disruption.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.