Spring budget 2017: New London devolution deal announced
- Credit: AP/Press Association Images
Today Chancellor Philip Hammond addressed a packed House of Commons to deliver his first, and final spring budget.
The hour-long speech omitted any mention of Brexit or climate change, but included other pledges on everything from the economy to education, as follows.
1) LONDON: Devolution to the capital was given a boost by the Budget, with new powers handed down to London by the chancellor.
2) ECONOMY: Growth forecast upgraded from 1.4 per cent to 2pc, real wages will rise through to 2020.
3) BUSINESS RATES: Relief package of £435m announced for small businesses. 90pc of pubs will be given a £1,000 discount on business rates this year. Any business coming out of small business rate relief will not see their bill increase by more than £50 a month, and subsequent increases will be capped.
You may also want to watch:
4) SELF-EMPLOYED: Class 4 contributions by the self-employed will increase by 1p in the pound to 10 per cent in April 2018, with a further 1pc in 2019.
5) HEALTH: A new triaging project will get £100m to “free up hospital beds”.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 3 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 4 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 5 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 6 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 7 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 8 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 9 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 10 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
6) SOCIAL CARE: Social care will get a £2bn injection over the next three years.
7) EDUCATION: 100 new free schools will be opened, including a new generation of grammar schools. T-Levels will be rolled out for technical qualifications.
What does the budget mean for you? Let us know by emailing email@example.com