Campaigners call for review of Hackney junction after cyclist left fighting for his life
- Credit: Archant
Cycling campaigners have called for safety at a busy Stamford Hill junction to be reviewed after a cyclist was left fighting for his life after being hit by a bus.
Police are appealing for witnesses following the incident which took place on Sunday at 5.20pm in Stamford Hill at the junction with Clapton Common.
Witnesses said they thought the man, who is believed to be in his 60s, went under the vehicle.
Co-ordinator of the London Cycling Campaign in Hackney, Trevor Parsons, believes the junction – where Sokol Sadja was killed in November 2006 - is “extremely off-putting, even for confident and careful riders”.
“It is large and complex which is very off putting,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“A lot of people have to use it because it’s the most direct way but there are a lot of heavy traffic movements going through there and it could certainly benefit from a revision.”
The victim, who has not been named, is still in a critical condition in hospital.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 3 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 4 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 7 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 8 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
All emergency departments attended the scene including the Jewish volunteer emergency medical service Hatzola, which arrived first.
No arrests have been made.
Anyone who witnessed the collision is asked to call police on 020 8597 4874.
A 20-year old female cyclist who was riding a Barclays Hire bike died on Friday after a collision with a lorry in Whitechapel, Tower Hamlets.