Campaigners call for review of Hackney junction after cyclist left fighting for his life
- Credit: Archant
Cycling campaigners have called for safety at a busy Stamford Hill junction to be reviewed after a cyclist was left fighting for his life after being hit by a bus.
Police are appealing for witnesses following the incident which took place on Sunday at 5.20pm in Stamford Hill at the junction with Clapton Common.
Witnesses said they thought the man, who is believed to be in his 60s, went under the vehicle.
Co-ordinator of the London Cycling Campaign in Hackney, Trevor Parsons, believes the junction – where Sokol Sadja was killed in November 2006 - is “extremely off-putting, even for confident and careful riders”.
“It is large and complex which is very off putting,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“A lot of people have to use it because it’s the most direct way but there are a lot of heavy traffic movements going through there and it could certainly benefit from a revision.”
The victim, who has not been named, is still in a critical condition in hospital.
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 8 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
All emergency departments attended the scene including the Jewish volunteer emergency medical service Hatzola, which arrived first.
No arrests have been made.
Anyone who witnessed the collision is asked to call police on 020 8597 4874.
A 20-year old female cyclist who was riding a Barclays Hire bike died on Friday after a collision with a lorry in Whitechapel, Tower Hamlets.