Cancer charity fund-raiser in Victoria Park cancelled
A charity event to raise money for research into cancer has been cancelled because too few people have signed up.
The Race for Life women’s event was due to be held in Victoria Park on Sunday July 3 as part of a nationwide series of money-spinners for Cancer Research UK.
Organisers had hoped that the event - the first time it was scheduled to be held in Victoria Park - would have attracted 3,000 women and girls to take part.
Race for Life is a women-only series of events throughout the summer which raise cash for life-saving research into all cancers – helping men, women and children across London.
Last year Cancer Research UK spent �146 million on research in London into ways to tackle cancer.
You may also want to watch:
But organisers have balanced up the cost of staging the event in the historic park and the number of entrants signed up so far and decided to put the Hackney date on hold this year.
Fiona Murray, the event manager for the Hackney event, said: “We owe it to our participants and supporters to ensure that we raise as much money as possible in the most cost-efficient way. Entries for Race for Life in Victoria Park have been much lower than we anticipated, which would mean less money raised for life saving research. Taking into consideration the cost of staging the event, we have therefore taken the difficult decision to cancel it this year.
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 5 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 8 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 9 Boiling Point: The film shot in one take inside a Hackney restaurant
- 10 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
“We are very grateful to all those who signed up for Race for Life in Victoria Park and hope they will understand the reason for this decision. We still need women to take part in Race for Life events across London so we hope they will be able to join us at an event nearby.”
Cancer Research UK is very grateful to all the women who had already signed up for the event and is now in the process of contacting them about the cancellation.
Everyone who has signed up for the Victoria Park event is being contacted and advised of the change. They will be able to transfer to another Race for Life event or can receive a full refund of their registration fee.
Nearby Finsbury Park is the venue for another Race for Life event on Saturday July 23 for the 10k race and Sunday July 24 fro the 5k race.
More information is available on the Race for Life hotline on 0871 641 1111.