Hackney Council by-election: Candidates announced for Victoria ward
- Credit: Archant
Candidates from all the main parties have been announced ahead of a by-election in Victoria Ward.
Voting will take place on October 18, following the resignation of Cllr Alex Kuye because of ill health.
May’s mayoral candidate Harini Iyengar has thrown in her hat as the Women’s Equality Party candidate, while former councillor Christopher Sills is standing for the Tories.
Pippa Morgan has been named as the Lib Dem’s candidate and hopes to provide a shake-up in the council only being made up of councillors from both Labour and the Conservatives, which she dubs “two illiberal Brexit supporting parties”.
The Greens have selected Wendy Robinson, and Penny Wrout is standing for the incumbent Labour position.
You may also want to watch:
Labour’s Katie Hanson and Clare Joseph are the other two councillors for the ward.
The deadline to register to vote with Hackney Council is midnight on October 2.
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 7 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"
- 8 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 9 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home