Hackney Council by-election: Candidates announced for Victoria ward
- Credit: Archant
Candidates from all the main parties have been announced ahead of a by-election in Victoria Ward.
Voting will take place on October 18, following the resignation of Cllr Alex Kuye because of ill health.
May’s mayoral candidate Harini Iyengar has thrown in her hat as the Women’s Equality Party candidate, while former councillor Christopher Sills is standing for the Tories.
Pippa Morgan has been named as the Lib Dem’s candidate and hopes to provide a shake-up in the council only being made up of councillors from both Labour and the Conservatives, which she dubs “two illiberal Brexit supporting parties”.
The Greens have selected Wendy Robinson, and Penny Wrout is standing for the incumbent Labour position.
You may also want to watch:
Labour’s Katie Hanson and Clare Joseph are the other two councillors for the ward.
The deadline to register to vote with Hackney Council is midnight on October 2.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 6 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 7 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack