Hackney Council by-election: Candidates announced for Victoria ward
- Credit: Archant
Candidates from all the main parties have been announced ahead of a by-election in Victoria Ward.
Voting will take place on October 18, following the resignation of Cllr Alex Kuye because of ill health.
May’s mayoral candidate Harini Iyengar has thrown in her hat as the Women’s Equality Party candidate, while former councillor Christopher Sills is standing for the Tories.
Pippa Morgan has been named as the Lib Dem’s candidate and hopes to provide a shake-up in the council only being made up of councillors from both Labour and the Conservatives, which she dubs “two illiberal Brexit supporting parties”.
The Greens have selected Wendy Robinson, and Penny Wrout is standing for the incumbent Labour position.
You may also want to watch:
Labour’s Katie Hanson and Clare Joseph are the other two councillors for the ward.
The deadline to register to vote with Hackney Council is midnight on October 2.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 4 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 5 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 6 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 9 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 10 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors