Hackney Council by-election: Candidates announced for Victoria ward
- Credit: Archant
Candidates from all the main parties have been announced ahead of a by-election in Victoria Ward.
Voting will take place on October 18, following the resignation of Cllr Alex Kuye because of ill health.
May’s mayoral candidate Harini Iyengar has thrown in her hat as the Women’s Equality Party candidate, while former councillor Christopher Sills is standing for the Tories.
Pippa Morgan has been named as the Lib Dem’s candidate and hopes to provide a shake-up in the council only being made up of councillors from both Labour and the Conservatives, which she dubs “two illiberal Brexit supporting parties”.
The Greens have selected Wendy Robinson, and Penny Wrout is standing for the incumbent Labour position.
Labour’s Katie Hanson and Clare Joseph are the other two councillors for the ward.
The deadline to register to vote with Hackney Council is midnight on October 2.
- 1 Stoke Newington residents go without running water for days
- 2 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 3 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 4 Mother of son lost to knife crime honoured by the Queen
- 5 De Beauvoir to house UK's first East and South-East Asian resource centre
- 6 UK's 'home of baking' to open third venue in Haggerston
- 7 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 8 Half a million Mare Street flat to be auctioned for investment
- 9 South Hackney stabbing: Woman arrested and man left fighting for his life
- 10 'It was like a scene from a movie': Hackney man facing jail for 2017 shooting