Candle warning after half of Stoke Newington flat destroyed by blaze
- Credit: sub
Half a Stoke Newington flat has been destroyed by a fire believed to have been started by a candle.
It took 21 fire fighters using four fire engines around an hour to fight the blaze in Shacklewell Road on Saturday night.
It is believed to have been caused by a candle left burning in the loft.
Although half the flat was damaged no one was injured.
A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade said: “Candles can be lovely but they need to be used with care and respect – they are naked flames, which can be very dangerous.
You may also want to watch:
“Never leave them burning without supervision and blow them out whenever you leave the room.
“Make sure you use proper candle holders and keep them well away from anything that could catch fire.”
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 4 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 5 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 6 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 7 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 10 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
Crews from Stoke Newington, Leyton, and Kingsland fire stations attended the blaze. Kingsland is one of 10 fire stations in the capital which will be closed under the Mayor of London Boris Johnson’s cost-cutting measures.