Search

Candle warning after half of Stoke Newington flat destroyed by blaze

PUBLISHED: 15:35 23 December 2013 | UPDATED: 15:35 23 December 2013

Crews from across east London are tackling the blaze at the disused warehouse

Crews from across east London are tackling the blaze at the disused warehouse

sub

Half a Stoke Newington flat has been destroyed by a fire believed to have been started by a candle.

It took 21 fire fighters using four fire engines around an hour to fight the blaze in Shacklewell Road on Saturday night.

It is believed to have been caused by a candle left burning in the loft.

Although half the flat was damaged no one was injured.

A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade said: “Candles can be lovely but they need to be used with care and respect – they are naked flames, which can be very dangerous.

“Never leave them burning without supervision and blow them out whenever you leave the room.

“Make sure you use proper candle holders and keep them well away from anything that could catch fire.”

Crews from Stoke Newington, Leyton, and Kingsland fire stations attended the blaze. Kingsland is one of 10 fire stations in the capital which will be closed under the Mayor of London Boris Johnson’s cost-cutting measures.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hackney Gazette