Search

Candle warning following Hackney house fire

PUBLISHED: 13:56 02 September 2016 | UPDATED: 13:56 02 September 2016

The fire broke out in Hackney Central

The fire broke out in Hackney Central

Archant

Fire fighters have issued safety advice after an unattended candle is believed to have started a house fire in Hackney Central last Friday.

A woman was treated for smoke inhalation following the blaze in Brenthouse Road which damaged part of the first floor.

A neighbour called the London Fire Brigade after seeing flames flickering in the window at the front of the property.

There were no working smoke alarms in the property, and the fire is believed to be accidental.

A spokesman said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.

“Everyone should have at least one smoke alarm on every level of their home and the safest option is to have those linked together.

“This will give the earliest warning if there is a fire in your home.”

It took 21 fire fighters using four engines an hour to bring the fire under control.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hackney Gazette

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists