Candle warning following Hackney house fire
- Credit: Archant
Fire fighters have issued safety advice after an unattended candle is believed to have started a house fire in Hackney Central last Friday.
A woman was treated for smoke inhalation following the blaze in Brenthouse Road which damaged part of the first floor.
A neighbour called the London Fire Brigade after seeing flames flickering in the window at the front of the property.
There were no working smoke alarms in the property, and the fire is believed to be accidental.
A spokesman said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone should have at least one smoke alarm on every level of their home and the safest option is to have those linked together.
“This will give the earliest warning if there is a fire in your home.”
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 9 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 10 Days left to register to vote in May elections
It took 21 fire fighters using four engines an hour to bring the fire under control.