Captain America filming surprises shoppers in Hackney
Comic-book blockbuster comes to Hackney
Shoppers, motorists and passersby on Mare Street in Hackney could be forgiven for thinking they’d travelled back in time this week.
As they’ve gone about their daily business, Hackney residents have been perplexed by people strolling across the street in 1940s-style clothes, including club singer outfits and smartly-pressed World War II uniforms.
It’s not a new fashion craze though; the legions of young men and women crossing from the Ocean music venue to the Hackney Empire, both in Mare Street, are all extras in superhero blockbuster Captain America: The First Avenger, starring Chris Evans, Samuel L. Jackson, Tommy Lee Jones and Hugo Weaving.
Filming of the hotly anticipated comic-book adaptation began at the Empire on Wednesday and is scheduled to go on until tomorrow (September 17), with the Ocean being used as a catering area.
You may also want to watch:
The Hackney Gazette team would like to see any fan-snaps of the ‘blast-from-the-past’ actors and the ‘Cap’ film crew; if you catch a glimpse on Mare Street, send your pictures or videos to email@example.com.
- 1 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 2 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 3 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 4 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 5 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 6 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 9 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 10 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week