Youngsters avoid injury after car smashes through railings and into Butterfield Green
- Credit: George Binette
Children playing in Butterfield Green managed to escape uninjured after a Mercedes car came smashing through the iron railings and shrubbery, and into the park this afternoon.
The driver lost control of the silver SUV in Prince George Road, Stoke Newington just before 1pm, and it ended up just yards away from a children's playground.
The occupants of the car fled the scene on foot.
Two males were subsequently arrested on suspicion of theft of a motor vehicle.
They both remain in custody at an east London police station.
You may also want to watch:
Bystander George Binette told the Gazette: "There were two or three children in the area on the grass when the vehicle came through, and it's fortunate those children escaped unscathed."
Enquiries into the circumstances continue, according to Scotland Yard.
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 5 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 6 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 7 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 8 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 9 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 10 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder