Youngsters avoid injury after car smashes through railings and into Butterfield Green
- Credit: George Binette
Children playing in Butterfield Green managed to escape uninjured after a Mercedes car came smashing through the iron railings and shrubbery, and into the park this afternoon.
The driver lost control of the silver SUV in Prince George Road, Stoke Newington just before 1pm, and it ended up just yards away from a children's playground.
The occupants of the car fled the scene on foot.
Two males were subsequently arrested on suspicion of theft of a motor vehicle.
They both remain in custody at an east London police station.
You may also want to watch:
Bystander George Binette told the Gazette: "There were two or three children in the area on the grass when the vehicle came through, and it's fortunate those children escaped unscathed."
Enquiries into the circumstances continue, according to Scotland Yard.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs