Car towed to Hackney’s pound for fraudulent Blue Badge use
Seven Blue Badges were confiscated from drivers and one car was sent to the pound, during a day to combat fraudulent use of the scheme which was set up for disabled people.
A Blue Badge provides parking concessions for people with severe mobility difficulties travelling as drivers or passengers, and a carer is not allowed to use the badge unless they are driving the badge holder.
Police joined the council’s anti-fraud team on January 29 to clamp down on the misuse of blue badges around the council’s Hackney Service Centre, in Hilman Street, and one car was taken to the pound because someone was using the permit without the badge holder being present.
The permits should only be bought directly from the council, and fraudulent permits are an issue.
Offenders can face a fine of up to £1000 or even imprisonment for more serious offences like use of a stolen or forged badge.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Feryal Demirci, the council’s cabinet member for neighbourhoods, said Blue Badges “shouldn’t’ be abused” and that all users should be aware of the rules.
“We are looking for those people who try to cheat the system and when we catch them we will take action,” she warned.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 7 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 9 "Horrific" extent of River Lea plastic pollution at Hackney Marshes
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
“Disabled people told us that they want something done about fraud and misuse of blue badges as this can make it harder for them to go about their daily life.”
Since last April, 51 parking permits have been recovered following misuse, six drivers have been prosecuted and further court action is pending, and 19 warnings have been issued to blue badge holders which could lead to withdrawal of their permit.
To find out more see www.hackney.gov.uk/blue-badge-misuse.htm.