Car towed to Hackney’s pound for fraudulent Blue Badge use
Seven Blue Badges were confiscated from drivers and one car was sent to the pound, during a day to combat fraudulent use of the scheme which was set up for disabled people.
A Blue Badge provides parking concessions for people with severe mobility difficulties travelling as drivers or passengers, and a carer is not allowed to use the badge unless they are driving the badge holder.
Police joined the council’s anti-fraud team on January 29 to clamp down on the misuse of blue badges around the council’s Hackney Service Centre, in Hilman Street, and one car was taken to the pound because someone was using the permit without the badge holder being present.
The permits should only be bought directly from the council, and fraudulent permits are an issue.
Offenders can face a fine of up to £1000 or even imprisonment for more serious offences like use of a stolen or forged badge.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Feryal Demirci, the council’s cabinet member for neighbourhoods, said Blue Badges “shouldn’t’ be abused” and that all users should be aware of the rules.
“We are looking for those people who try to cheat the system and when we catch them we will take action,” she warned.
- 1 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 2 Stats show rate of rise in Covid rates locally
- 3 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 4 Study asks: why are canals and rivers a watery lifeline during pandemic?
- 5 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 6 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 7 De Beauvoir residents to vote on estate regeneration in planning policy dry run
- 8 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 9 I’m terrible at golf. Can a Shoreditch centre help me improve?
- 10 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
“Disabled people told us that they want something done about fraud and misuse of blue badges as this can make it harder for them to go about their daily life.”
Since last April, 51 parking permits have been recovered following misuse, six drivers have been prosecuted and further court action is pending, and 19 warnings have been issued to blue badge holders which could lead to withdrawal of their permit.
To find out more see www.hackney.gov.uk/blue-badge-misuse.htm.