Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- Credit: Google
Thirteen men playing cards in a social club, in breach of the coronavirus lockdown, were busted by police on Thursday night.
Police were called to the club in Stoke Newington Road at 10pm by witnesses who spotted several men going inside.
All of them were issued with fixed penalty notice fines, and Hackney council have been advised of the owner's actions.
Ch Insp Pete Shaw said: "My officers work incredibly hard, putting themselves at risk of catching this virus to keep those in Hackney and Tower Hamlets safe.
"It is very disappointing when officers have to deal with groups of people who appear to think that these rules do not apply to them.
You may also want to watch:
"To make it very clear, anyone who is seen to be breaking the rules to hold or attend a house party or an unlicensed music event can expect to be fined by the police and the event shut down.
"We need to be doing everything we can as a community to try and keep ourselves, our family and friends as safe as possible and to reduce the burden on the NHS.”
- 1 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 7 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 10 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed