Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- Credit: Google
Thirteen men playing cards in a social club, in breach of the coronavirus lockdown, were busted by police on Thursday night.
Police were called to the club in Stoke Newington Road at 10pm by witnesses who spotted several men going inside.
All of them were issued with fixed penalty notice fines, and Hackney council have been advised of the owner's actions.
Ch Insp Pete Shaw said: "My officers work incredibly hard, putting themselves at risk of catching this virus to keep those in Hackney and Tower Hamlets safe.
"It is very disappointing when officers have to deal with groups of people who appear to think that these rules do not apply to them.
You may also want to watch:
"To make it very clear, anyone who is seen to be breaking the rules to hold or attend a house party or an unlicensed music event can expect to be fined by the police and the event shut down.
"We need to be doing everything we can as a community to try and keep ourselves, our family and friends as safe as possible and to reduce the burden on the NHS.”
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 4 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 5 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 9 Charity puts on community feasts to tackle food waste
- 10 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes