Carnival count down as Hackney prepares to party
- Credit: Archant
The Hackney One Carnival will once again fill the streets with spectacular costumes, energetic dance and uplifting music this Sunday.
Bringing together hundreds of performers from carnival and community groups, the annual council-run event will celebrate the melting pot of cultures and creativity that thrive in the borough.
The procession leaves Ridley Road at 2pm working its way south along Dalston Lane, Richmond Road and along Mare Street towards the Town Hall, before heading up Amhurst Road and back to Ridley Road.
Hackney’s best young musicians will perform in Hackney Town Hall Square between noon and 3.10pm, and there will be children’s play area in Gillett Square from noon to 6pm.
After the procession there will be a finale in Ridley Road, featuring Reggae, Soca and Brazilian music and food until 8pm.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Jonathan McShane, cabinet member for health social care and culture, said; “As always, the carnival groups have been working tirelessly to bring you a spectacular procession. Come and join us in the streets and enjoy Hackney’s carnival atmosphere.”
Tweet and share your photos on Facebook using #HackneyOneCarnival.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 4 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 5 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 9 Charity puts on community feasts to tackle food waste
- 10 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes