Carry On actress Barbara Windsor joins Hackney residents for The Big Lunch
- Credit: Archant
Eastenders and Carry On actress Barabara Windsor joined Hackney residents at the Cre8 Life Style Centre on Sunday in street party initiative, designed to engender community spirit.
Windsor, who played Peggy Mitchell in the long-running BBC soap, is an ambassador for the Big Lunch, which has encouraged people across the UK to dedicate a special day to share food and festivities with their neighbours for the last five years.
She joined over 100 people at the Cre8 Life Style Centre in Eastway, Hackney Wick, where entertainment included Olympic drummers, local theatre group performances and break dancers.
She said: “I always look forward to the first weekend of June when I am invited to a Big Lunch event in London.
“The events seem to get bigger and better every year and here in Hackney the Cre8 Life Style Centre definitely put on a brilliant show with everyone getting involved and having fun together - that’s what The Big Lunch is all about and it’s lovely to be part of it again.”
Organiser Ron Newman, added: “Once again we’ve had a terrific day with more and more people coming along to join in the fun, and even a special visit from Barbara Windsor.
“The community has seen a remarkable transformation following our first event in 2012 and we know this year’s event will further strengthen relationships in an area that has since been lacking in community spirit.”
- 1 Guilty: Man lured 2 young girls into garage and sexually abused them
- 2 Patrick Anzy: Three men jailed following Gillett Square murder
- 3 Boy, 15, charged with attempted murder of woman out riding bike
- 4 Call to stop weedkiller use at estate
- 5 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 6 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 7 Illustrations capture a fresh view of Hackney
- 8 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 9 Hackney woman in court over 'chasing down' BBC journalist at lockdown rally
- 10 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
Hackney Wick was identified as an area needing support to develop a stronger sense of community, and last year the Department for Communities and Local Government paid for a community support officer to work with the organisers of the Cre8 Life Style Centre Big Lunch. The event was so successful in bringing together neighbours who may not have previously known each other that funding was renewed for this year’s event.