Castle Climbing Centre unveils new outdoor park during fun day
- Credit: Archant
Fearless acrobats walked across a high line suspended nearly 100 feet in the air between the two towers of The Castle Climbing Centre, Green Lanes, at its annual party.
The event on Sunday at the centre in Green Lanes, Stoke Newington, saw the grand opening of its outdoor climbing boulder park.
The free-standing boulders are low enough for people to climb without ropes, but high enough to still feel quite challenging.
Visitors were also treated to the spectacle of a “dyno” competition, with participants performing a dynamic move to grab a hold that would otherwise be out of reach.
“It is quite a something to watch,” said Kerry Simmons, who works at the centre.
“Generally both feet will leave the rock face and return again once the target hold is caught, non-climbers would call it a jump or a leap.”
The winning jump of 260 cm was performed by Tom Arnold.
- 1 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
- 2 Footage appearing to show officer striking man in Dalston under review
- 3 Arrests for violent disorder following Dalston moped operation
- 4 Disorder in Dalston: Eight charged and footage referred to IOPC watchdog
- 5 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 6 New community mural painted by residents unveiled in Stoke Newington
- 7 Two teenagers arrested following stabbing of 16-year-old
- 8 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 9 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 10 Stoke Newington: Pret 'sorry' after staff tell indy café 'we'll steal your customers'
Ms Simmons added: “The point is to show the customers and local community what we have been working towards since our commitment to operating as a sustainable business.
“We have won several awards for our efforts and this year and have entered Hackney in Bloom, we offer community plots for local people to grow their own food, and we run sustainability workshops and grow our own food for our cafe.”