Champions Mark Foster, Nick Robinson-Baker and Cassie Patten join 500 swimmers at London Fields Lido
- Credit: Getty Images for British Gas
Six-time world champion Mark Foster, Olympic diver Nick Robinson-Baker and Olympic bronze medallist Cassie Patten took to the water in London Fields Lido alongside nearly 500 London swimmers yesterday.
The pool was hosting the finale of a series of 10 SwimBritain events that have been taking place across the country over the last couple of months.
SwimBritain aims to encourage 500,000 more people to swim regularly by 2015 with the first-ever series of team relay events.
Mark, whose five year British record in the 50m Freestyle was only just broken this summer, wants to get people swimming.
“Many people spend long hours at work sitting down so it’s really important that they try and get regular exercise,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“As well as the health and fitness benefits, swimming is refreshing, relaxing and liberating. It’s a great escape from the stresses of work and everyday life.”
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 7 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 8 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 9 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction