Champions Mark Foster, Nick Robinson-Baker and Cassie Patten join 500 swimmers at London Fields Lido
- Credit: Getty Images for British Gas
Six-time world champion Mark Foster, Olympic diver Nick Robinson-Baker and Olympic bronze medallist Cassie Patten took to the water in London Fields Lido alongside nearly 500 London swimmers yesterday.
The pool was hosting the finale of a series of 10 SwimBritain events that have been taking place across the country over the last couple of months.
SwimBritain aims to encourage 500,000 more people to swim regularly by 2015 with the first-ever series of team relay events.
Mark, whose five year British record in the 50m Freestyle was only just broken this summer, wants to get people swimming.
“Many people spend long hours at work sitting down so it’s really important that they try and get regular exercise,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“As well as the health and fitness benefits, swimming is refreshing, relaxing and liberating. It’s a great escape from the stresses of work and everyday life.”
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 4 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 5 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 9 Charity puts on community feasts to tackle food waste
- 10 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes