Children’s author Michael Rosen’s toilet bid
- Credit: Archant
Ex-Children’s Laureate Michael Rosen is teaming up with a band for an evening of jazz and poetry to raise money for some public loos.
Hackney resident Mr Rosen who is well known for his much loved children’s book We’re Going on a Bear Hunt, will perform with the Dulce Tones at the Clapton Music Club on Friday January 25.
Pted and the Praerie Dogs will also take to the stage to revive the poetic hip rap of Lord Buckley, an eccentric American performer who influenced the beat generation and died in 1960.
All profits will go towards renovating the toilets in Chatsworth Road.
“The toilets will cost us about £8000 to renovate, with volunteer labour, so we need all the money we can get,” said Jonathan Aldenton from the Clapton Improvement Society.
You may also want to watch:
The club takes places at Hackney USC, 69 Powerscroft Road and runs from 7.30om to midnight.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 8 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death