Children’s entertainer runs nearly 200 miles for hospital after his five-year-old niece dies
- Credit: Archant
A children’s entertainer ran 187 miles in a week along the River Thames to raise money for the Homerton Hospital’s special care baby unit.
David Lewis, 47, of Reading undertook the challenge - which is equivalent to running seven marathons - in memory of his five-year-old niece who drowned last August.
His “beautiful” niece Lara Lewis was born prematurely in the unit in 2007.
Mr Lewis started running from The Source last Wednesday and finished at the Thames Barrier on Tuesday.
He said: “I was running in memory of my very young beautiful niece Lara Lewis, who was only just five-years-old when she drowned taken by a freak wave off the coast of Portugal in August 2012 with her heroic grandad Brian O’Dwyer dying in the ultimate act of bravery trying to save her. We so miss them both.
You may also want to watch:
“I chose to run for the Homerton SCBU because that is where Lara was born prematurely in 2007. They did and do an amazing job, which allowed Lara to grow into the most beautiful intelligent and fun loving magical young girl you could wish for. We all miss Lara so much and I thought to do this challenge in her memory. This was the toughest challenge I have ever undertaken, both physically and emotionally.”
He has raised nearly £2, 000 so far. To donate, please visit www.justgiving.com/David-Lewis-Lara-SCBU.
- 1 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 2 Stats show rate of rise in Covid rates locally
- 3 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 4 Study asks: why are canals and rivers a watery lifeline during pandemic?
- 5 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 6 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 7 De Beauvoir residents to vote on estate regeneration in planning policy dry run
- 8 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 9 I’m terrible at golf. Can a Shoreditch centre help me improve?
- 10 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney