Christie’s auction of Stik’s Pride March banner will raise money to promote LGBTQI+ heritage
- Credit: Archant
A banner made by street artist Stik for last year’s Pride march will be auctioned off at Christies next month – and it’s hoped it will raise tens of thousands of pounds to celebrate Hackney’s LGBTQI+ heritage.
The auction will go online from April 4 to 13, and the banner will be on display from March 31 at the prestigious auction house’s King Street premises.
Funds raised will train young people from Project Indigo to curate an exhibition of Hackney’s rich and diverse LGBTQI+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex) heritage.
The aim is to change attitudes, strengthen community cohesion and help young people overcome challenges through confidence building and skills training.
Stik, who lives near Victoria Park, said he was happy to give back to the queer community which has helped him in so many ways over the years.
You may also want to watch:
“For the first time our legacy will be officially recognised in a definitive archive to be immortalised and available to the public, empowering people around the world for generations to come,” he said.
“Hackney’s radical LGBTQI+ community has been fundamental in creating the freedoms we enjoy today. This exhibition will shine a light on our past victories and fallen soldiers in the battle for recognition.”
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 9 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
The exhibition will be displayed in Hackney Museum during next year’s LGBT History Month.