Christie’s auction of Stik’s Pride March banner will raise money to promote LGBTQI+ heritage
- Credit: Archant
A banner made by street artist Stik for last year’s Pride march will be auctioned off at Christies next month – and it’s hoped it will raise tens of thousands of pounds to celebrate Hackney’s LGBTQI+ heritage.
The auction will go online from April 4 to 13, and the banner will be on display from March 31 at the prestigious auction house’s King Street premises.
Funds raised will train young people from Project Indigo to curate an exhibition of Hackney’s rich and diverse LGBTQI+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex) heritage.
The aim is to change attitudes, strengthen community cohesion and help young people overcome challenges through confidence building and skills training.
Stik, who lives near Victoria Park, said he was happy to give back to the queer community which has helped him in so many ways over the years.
You may also want to watch:
“For the first time our legacy will be officially recognised in a definitive archive to be immortalised and available to the public, empowering people around the world for generations to come,” he said.
“Hackney’s radical LGBTQI+ community has been fundamental in creating the freedoms we enjoy today. This exhibition will shine a light on our past victories and fallen soldiers in the battle for recognition.”
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 7 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 8 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 9 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
The exhibition will be displayed in Hackney Museum during next year’s LGBT History Month.