Christo’s Hair Fashion owner Jenny to retire from Stoke Newington salon after 40 years
- Credit: Archant
A hairdresser who spent four decades styling Stoke Newington is hanging up her scissors for the last time – because her children want to see more of her.
Jenny Buttigieg has run Christos Hair Fashions in Green Lanes for more than 40 years.
A tearful Jenny told the Gazette: “I am going to miss a lot of things. I am especially going to miss the people. They are more like my family than customers.
“I care so much for them. We used to sing and dance in here with everybody.” The grandmother of four added: “But I have been working for so many years and my children would like me to retire.”
After leaving school Jenny trained at the Morris School of Hairdressing before starting at the family firm, founded by her father in the mid-1960s.
You may also want to watch:
Loyal customer Isabella Collins, 87, who has visited the salon for more than 20 years, said: “Jenny is so friendly. If you are here at 12 o’clock she sends out for chips. It is like a social club. We are going to miss her. We’ve had some laughs.”
Jenny, who lived above the salon during her childhood, has seen businesses come and go along Green Lanes over the years. “I have a lot of happy memories,” she said.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 8 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 9 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 10 Arsenal legend Kelly Smith says Williamson and Wubben-Moy have the chance to impress for Lionesses
Jenny laughed as she recalled the time an elderly customer took a shine to another client’s glasses after using them to check her hair in the mirror and refused to return them until her spare pair were fetched from home.
Violet Laniyin, 88, of Manor House, said: “We always have a laugh and a joke with Jenny. It’s so important, especially when you live on your own. You’ve got company.”
Jenny added: “I’ve got no regrets about staying here. Not one single day.” She now looks forward to spending time with her family, travelling and enjoying her garden.
She will celebrate her retirement on Saturday with a special party at the salon.