Church congregation makes its own bunting for the Olympics
Olympic fever is gripping the parishioners of a Clapton Church, which held a “bunting workshop” so the congregation could make outdoor decorations for their own spin on the Games.
All Souls Church, in Overbury Street, hosted the craft event last Wednesday to make bunting for the Clapton Park Games, a week-long festival designed to get residents excited about the Olympics.
Activities will include a football competition, boxing exhibition, and a street dance contest, as well as live music, a barbeque and a community fete.
Rev Tom Haley said: “I am so excited the Olympics are coming to London, and I wanted to find a way to engage people in this amazing event, as an opportunity to bring local residents together.
“We hope as many people come down as possible and just enjoy the festival and be proud of what our local community has achieved together.”
You may also want to watch:
The festival will take place in Gilpin Square from the July 30 until August 4.
For more information, visit www.claptonpark.com
- 1 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 2 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images