Church congregation makes its own bunting for the Olympics
Olympic fever is gripping the parishioners of a Clapton Church, which held a “bunting workshop” so the congregation could make outdoor decorations for their own spin on the Games.
All Souls Church, in Overbury Street, hosted the craft event last Wednesday to make bunting for the Clapton Park Games, a week-long festival designed to get residents excited about the Olympics.
Activities will include a football competition, boxing exhibition, and a street dance contest, as well as live music, a barbeque and a community fete.
Rev Tom Haley said: “I am so excited the Olympics are coming to London, and I wanted to find a way to engage people in this amazing event, as an opportunity to bring local residents together.
“We hope as many people come down as possible and just enjoy the festival and be proud of what our local community has achieved together.”
You may also want to watch:
The festival will take place in Gilpin Square from the July 30 until August 4.
For more information, visit www.claptonpark.com
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 6 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 7 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 8 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Three men charged following Hackney shooting