Search

Cigarette fire in Homerton sparks warning from brigade bosses

PUBLISHED: 13:34 04 April 2016 | UPDATED: 13:34 04 April 2016

10 firefighters from Homerton tackled the blaze. Picture: @LondonFire

10 firefighters from Homerton tackled the blaze. Picture: @LondonFire

Archant

Two men had to be rescued from a flat after a carelessly discarded cigarette sent it up in flames.

Crews were called to the building in Homerton High Street just after 4am on Monday morning.

A studio flat on the second floor was damaged by the fire, and a flat on the third floor was engulfed with thick smoke.

The two men were led to safety down a staircase, one from the third floor flat and another from the roof.

They were both suffering from smoke inhalation and treated on the scene by medics.

The person in the flat where the fire started escaped before the brigade arrived with no injuries. A further 15 people also evacuated the building before crews arrived.

The fire was started by a carelessly disposed of cigarettes.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said there were three fires a day in London linked to smoking and half of accidental fire deaths were down to cigarettes not being put out properly.

He said: “It’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out. If you don’t, you risk causing a fire that could destroy not only your home, but also your life.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hackney Gazette