Cigarette fire in Homerton sparks warning from brigade bosses
- Credit: Archant
Two men had to be rescued from a flat after a carelessly discarded cigarette sent it up in flames.
Crews were called to the building in Homerton High Street just after 4am on Monday morning.
A studio flat on the second floor was damaged by the fire, and a flat on the third floor was engulfed with thick smoke.
The two men were led to safety down a staircase, one from the third floor flat and another from the roof.
They were both suffering from smoke inhalation and treated on the scene by medics.
You may also want to watch:
The person in the flat where the fire started escaped before the brigade arrived with no injuries. A further 15 people also evacuated the building before crews arrived.
The fire was started by a carelessly disposed of cigarettes.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 7 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said there were three fires a day in London linked to smoking and half of accidental fire deaths were down to cigarettes not being put out properly.
He said: “It’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out. If you don’t, you risk causing a fire that could destroy not only your home, but also your life.”