Cladding similar to Grenfell Tower found on Woodberry Down Estate
- Credit: Archant
Cladding similar to Grenfell Tower has been discovered at a block on the Woodberry Down Estate and will be removed immediately as a precaution.
Hackney Council says the panels have been used in an “entirely different way” to the Kensington tower and are purely decorative.
Mayor Phil Glanville said the cladding did not “compromise the safety of the building” but would be removed. The block was the only one on the estate where the cladding was found.
Letters were hand-delivered to tenants and leaseholders on Friday evening and staff were on site to answer any questions.
Mayor Glanville said: “Following the devastating fire at Grenfell Tower, we asked all social housing providers in the borough to investigate the cladding on their properties and we have now been informed that cladding similar to that used at Grenfell Tower has been found on part of an eight-storey housing association block at Woodberry Down.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been assured that the cladding is used in an entirely different way to that at Grenfell Tower; it is purely decorative, on a new-build block, and does not compromise the safety of the building.
“This block is the only building at Woodberry Down where this type of cladding has been found and we are pleased that Berkeley Homes [the developer] and Genesis Housing Association have worked quickly to identify this and are taking swift action to replace it.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 6 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 7 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 8 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 9 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 10 Arsenal legend Kelly Smith says Williamson and Wubben-Moy have the chance to impress for Lionesses
“Berkeley Homes and Genesis have written to residents of the flats affected, and they will be kept fully informed of any further actions that are taken. There is no immediate safety risk to residents but as a precaution, the cladding will be removed immediately, and until the removal is complete, a fire safety officer will be on site 24/7.”
None of the council’s 181 medium- to high-rise blocks have the type of cladding used at Grenfell Tower but checks are being done to reassure people.