Clapton Common moped crash: Teen dead and boy seriously hurt after high-speed police chase ends in tragedy

Scene of the crash on the A107. Credit: @999London

Scene of the crash on the A107. Credit: @999London - Credit: Archant

A teenage moped rider has died and another is seriously injured after a high-speed police chase ended in a horrific crash.

Scene of the crash on the A107. Credit: @999London

Scene of the crash on the A107. Credit: @999London - Credit: Archant

The collision saw the boys’ moped plough into a van just before midday on the A107, next to Clapton Common.

Witnesses told how the public rushed over to the stricken boys in the seconds after the smash. Despite medics’ battles to save the most seriously injured teen, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Scotland Yard said officers had been chasing a moped after a smash-and-grab robbery in nearby Kingsland Road.

Both lanes of the busy road were closed to traffic as police cordoned off an area between Darenth and Castlewood Road.

Peter Simpson, who lives on Upper Clapton Road, has described hearing “screeching” and a “loud bang”.

He told the Gazette: “I heard sirens and thought nothing but as they got increasingly louder and nearer, my ears started to prick up.

Most Read

“Before I could get to the window, I was met with screeching and a loud bang.

“You could tell straightaway that it wasn’t going to end well.

“Ambulances were really quick to the scene but there was an eerie feeling outside that something terrible had happened.”

A London Ambulance spokesman said: “We were called at 11.52am to reports of a road traffic collision involving a motorbike at Clapton Common.

“We sent a number of resources to the scene including an advanced paramdedic, an incident officer and a medical team from London’s Air Ambulance by car.

“Sadly, despite extensive efforts to resuscitate the patient, a young man was pronounced dead at the scene by the doctor from London’s Air Ambulance.”

The spokesman also confirmed a second boy was taken as a priority to a major trauma centre and remains in a serious but stable condition.

The Met’s internal watchdog, the Directorate of Professional Standards, is investigating the circumstances of the tragedy.

Did you see what happened? Call Ryan Tute on 020 8477 3969 or e-mail