Clapton Girls’ begins consultation on becoming Academy or Trust school
The future of Clapton Girls’ Technology College as either a Trust school or an Academy is up for discussion - in the same week that its headteacher won one of the highest accolades in education.
A consultation on proposals for the school, based in Laura Place, Lower Clapton, began on Friday (February 11)
The questionnaire asks parents, pupils and staff at Clapton Girls’ as well as families at feeder schools and trade unionists their views on two options for change.
These involve either becoming the first Trust school in Hackney and a charitable foundation funded by the Learning Trust, or an academy – independent from the local education authority.
Headteacher Cheryl Day, who has been named a National Leader of Education (NLE) this week, said: “We are very proud of our school and what our pupils and staff have achieved.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to build on these successes and, in this changing world, provide the school with a more secure foundation from which to do so. We believe becoming a Trust or an Academy would provide this and want to hear people’s views.”
The role of NLE will see Ms Day and her staff support other schools to raise standards.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 4 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 8 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 9 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 10 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
Clapton Girls’ recorded it’s best ever GCSE results this year, with 60 per cent of students achieving five A*-Cs including English and Maths.
The consultation will run for four school weeks. For more information go to www.clapton.hackney.sch.uk.