Clapton Girls’ is first Hackney school to choose academy status
A girls’ school in Lower Clapton is set to be the first in Hackney to leave local authority control in favour of academy status.
Clapton Girls’ Technology College in Laura Place will begin the process of converting to an academy, after three-quarters of respondents to a recent consultation supported the proposal.
Chairwoman of the governing body, Camilla Allwood, said: “We are delighted that the response from the school community has given us a clear indication of their preferred future for the school.
“We are keen to reaffirm that Clapton Girls’ Technology College will maintain its current ethos and remain a successful, girls-only, inclusive, community school.”
Families and staff at Clapton Girls’ and nearby primary schools were asked their views on the school either becoming a charitable foundation funded by the Learning Trust, or an academy – independent from the local education authority.
You may also want to watch:
The consultation came under fire, with the National Union of Teachers (NUT) branding it ‘undemocratic’.
But headteacher Cheryl Day said she was pleased at the level of engagement and thanked those who responded.
- 1 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 2 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 3 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 4 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 7 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 8 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 9 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
Every school in England was invited by the government to become an academy under sweeping education reforms last May.
The process at Clapton Girls’ is expected to be complete by September 2011.