Clapton Girls’ is first Hackney school to choose academy status
A girls’ school in Lower Clapton is set to be the first in Hackney to leave local authority control in favour of academy status.
Clapton Girls’ Technology College in Laura Place will begin the process of converting to an academy, after three-quarters of respondents to a recent consultation supported the proposal.
Chairwoman of the governing body, Camilla Allwood, said: “We are delighted that the response from the school community has given us a clear indication of their preferred future for the school.
“We are keen to reaffirm that Clapton Girls’ Technology College will maintain its current ethos and remain a successful, girls-only, inclusive, community school.”
Families and staff at Clapton Girls’ and nearby primary schools were asked their views on the school either becoming a charitable foundation funded by the Learning Trust, or an academy – independent from the local education authority.
You may also want to watch:
The consultation came under fire, with the National Union of Teachers (NUT) branding it ‘undemocratic’.
But headteacher Cheryl Day said she was pleased at the level of engagement and thanked those who responded.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 3 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 4 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 7 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 8 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
Every school in England was invited by the government to become an academy under sweeping education reforms last May.
The process at Clapton Girls’ is expected to be complete by September 2011.